Please join CJI in 2018 for an immersive learning experience! The Caribbean Solidarity Trip to the Dominican Republic is an opportunity to learn first hand about social justice issues. Jesuits are working closely with people in this region to promote human and social development.
CARIBBEAN SOLIDARITY TRIP
Dates: 30 June – 7 July 2018
This covers all accommodation, meals, in-country transportation, trip organization, guides, honorariums, and support for partner institutions in the Dominican Republic. Participants are responsible for their own insurance and travel to and from the Dominican Republic.
The Caribbean Solidarity Trip is geared toward teachers, other educators, parish leaders, and anyone interested in a justice and solidarity focused experience.
Highlights of the trip will include:
- a visit to Centro Bonó, a social action centre run by the Jesuits
- a meeting with sugarcane workers to learn about community organizing for sustainable development
- a day trip to the Haitian border to meet Jesuit Migrant Service staff and learn about the challenges of working at the border
- visits to inner-city neighbourhoods in Santo Domingo where Jesuits work and live
- learning about the impact of the mining industry and the local environmental movement
- a visit to Alta Gracia, an ethical clothing company, to learn about the garment industry and free trade zones.
For more information and an application form, please contact Uju Umenyi (firstname.lastname@example.org).