Thank you to all participants, donors and volunteers who helped make CJI’s Giving Tuesday “Bridging Borders” campaign a success!
Numerous Bridging Borders campaign events were held across Canada in November 2018. They helped raise awareness and support for three important projects. Below is a summary of the campaign results. You can also see them in this Impact Report pdf.
More than 1,400 students at the elementary, high school and university levels were engaged in discussion groups and classroom presentations in provinces from BC to Quebec.
As well, public events were held in 9 cities across Canada, from Vancouver to Montreal. Each of these events featured one of the three guest speakers below.
A number of interviews and articles helped to promote the campaign and increase understanding around the issues involved in “bridging borders.” They included:
- Interview with Fr Nawras Sammour SJ on TV Ontario – The Agenda
- Interview with Fr Nawras Sammour SJ on Salt & Light TV
- Interview with Fr Mario Serrano SJ on Voces Latinas (Spanish radio)
- Article by Judith Watt in the BC Catholic
- Article by Michael Swan in The Catholic Register
- Blogs by Jenny Cafiso, Mercedes Arango-Vasquez, Dunia Saad, Partha Pratim Ray, and Pieter Niemeyer on the igNation website
Three projects were highlighted in the campaign:
- Lok Manch (People’s Forum) in India – operates in 12 states across India and promotes justice and access to legal rights for thousands of marginalized people.
- Pan-Amazon Caring for Our Common Home initiative in Latin America – works in 5 countries of the Amazon region to strengthen indigenous identity and address environmental issues through education.
- Family Support in Damascus, Syria – provides education, community programs and psychosocial services to displaced families in the Jaramanah area of Damascus.
More than $135,500 were raised in the campaign — 35% over our goal! The money will go to the three projects highlighted.