THE PRESENT
September 2020

CJI launches a new logo, website and newsletter design

January 2004

A new Board of Trustees is appointed.

The board continues to oversee the transformation of the mission and work of CJI into what it is today, expanding its scope of operation to new regions and with new local partners, based on the principles of reciprocity, solidarity and partnership and with a renewed emphasis on education and advocacy in Canada.

January 2004

Jenny Cafiso is appointed Director.

1995

The office becomes known as Canadian Jesuits International (CJI).

This was motivated by a wish to reflect changes in the understanding of mission and international work.

August 1971

The name of the corporation officially changes to the Canadian Jesuit Missions.

The purpose of the change in name is to include the missions to the Aboriginal populations of northern Ontario.

Canadian Jesuits Missions Logo

September 1955

The Darjeeling Mission Service is incorporated and is legally known as The Canadian Foreign Jesuit Mission.

1947

The Province establishes the Darjeeling Mission Service.

Its fourfold mission:

  • to promote interest in and support foreign missions;
  • to do awareness-raising and education;
  • to publish information and educational material;
  • to receive gifts.
1946

Canadian Jesuits go to Darjeeling

Canadian Jesuits go to Darjeeling region in northeast India, following an invitation to the Upper Canada Jesuit Province to serve there.

Darjeeling map circa 1914

IN THE BEGINNING

 

Once known as the "Mission Office" of the Jesuits in English Canada, Canadian Jesuits International (CJI) has more than 70 years of experience in global solidarity.

Its history is closely linked to that of Canadian Jesuits who went to the Darjeeling region in northeast India, following an invitation to the Upper Canada Jesuit Province to serve there in 1946.

Over the years the Province of the Jesuits in Canada supported the work of missionaries in northern India, Nepal, Bhutan, Armenia, Ukraine, Zambia, Uganda, Kenya and Jamaica.

Banner photo: Fr McGuire and the orchestra at Gandhi Ashram. Credit: Gandhi Ashram.
TOP
Resize font
Contrast